b

Unpublished Opinion

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Storms and Steam

About 20 minutes before I was set to leave work yesterday, I got a text message from Betty warning me that we were in the midst of a huge thunderstorm and to be careful on my way home. This was very helpful since I have no window in my office and am unaware of changes in weather. It could be snowing in July and I would be clueless. Shortly thereafter, there was a lot of commotion in the hallway. I heard someone say "It looks like War of the Worlds out there." That comment obviously came from someone with a window. I then heard thunder. I imagined what horror was in store for me as I made my 12 minute walk to the bus stop. E emailed me a helpful hint of keeping my head above the water when I swam across town.

Luckily, though, by the time I left the office, the storm had stopped. The air had that sticky after-the-storm feel and I got a few sprinkles on my head, but nothing major. After I got on the bus, I felt proud that I had managed to maneuver my way around the storm and get through it unscathed. Then I got home.

There are very few worse things to read on a little white sign on the front of the apartment building door during stormy 90+ degree weather than this:

The air conditioner is out in the entire building. We are aware of the problem and the contractors have been feverishly working on the problem. We hope to have power back shortly.

Sigh. While riding up in the elevator, I worried that I would find a sopping wet Mr. Kitty panting and crying. He was completely unfazed, however, and was actually under the covers! When I got into the apartment, it didn't feel too bad. Thinking that the temp was tolerable, I set out on my regular Wednesday activity of the laundry.

The laundry room was much hotter than the apartment, but I don't stay down there with the clothes, so I thought I could handle it. I returned back upstairs, with the intention of emailing E and complaining about the air conditioning, hoping to garner some sympathy. Then I received another unfortunate message:

You have limited or no connectivity. You may not be able to access the internet.

Sigh. Then I started feeling warmer. Then I got even warmer when I went back to the laundry room. I surmised that the A/C must have gone out not long before I got home, because now the temps were much higher throughout the building, likely increasing as the hours went by.

Then I took one load of laundry out of the dryer and it was still soaking wet. Fun stuff. A woman on the elevator told me that many of the dryers were broken the night before and that people were actually putting their wet clothes into her dryer! Who does that? That is so rude.

Clothes finally dry, I began folding them. I got hotter. E called and I was finally able to complain about the A/C. I also told him that it would be too hot to turn the oven on and that he should bring me Wendy's. (I had to get something for my pain and suffering).

Later I realized that the temperature wasn't too bad...so long as I didn't move. So I laid still for most of the rest of the evening, fans blowing all over the apartment. The A/C finally kicked back on around 11pm.

2 Comments:

  • as sad as all that was, at least you had power to run those fans..
    and you got wendy's :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

  • Now you know how I feel with only a window air conditioner in the bedroom....
    We got your storm at about 8pm....i felt slightly bad for the art fair people...part of me laughed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home