b

Unpublished Opinion

Saturday, February 11, 2006

French Toast Heaven and Snow Sculptures

UPDATE: They announced the winners of the snow sculpture competition! The professional winner was "A Grizzly Meal" and the High School winner was "Bottoms Up" (the pig sculpture). Both are pictured below.
-------------------------------------------------------------
This morning, Prince E and I went to breakfast at the Egg Harbor Cafe. I ordered the cinnamon roll french toast. Yes, you heard that right. French toast...made out of cinnamon rolls. I had already eaten half of it when I realized I should take a picture.



It was so yummy and it just melted in my mouth. I could eat it everyday. I just might, too, if we end of moving to an apartment building that we looked at today near the restaurant. It was a great building, with an indoor pool, fitness center, and close locations to movies, stores, etc. It is a suburb, but like a little city. Unfortunately, the rent reflect that coolness. Also, they have the nerve to charge a pet DEPOSIT ($300 refundable), a pet FEE ($250 non-refundable), and pet RENT ($20/month). I just got through breaking it to Simba that if we move there, he will have to get job, or at least start doing some chores to earn his keep. We tried to figure out what the pet fee covered that couldn't just be taken out of the pet deposit, but they didn't have an answer. I suppose it is for the privilege of having a cat in their building. Really, though, it is because they know they can charge any amount and get away with it because people won't give up their pets over money.

We also headed to the snow sculpture contest in Schaumburg. Last year it was in a much better location in Rolling Meadows, where the participants were more spread out. When this year's event was postponed in January and moved to this weekend, it was forced to move to the parking lot of Roosevelt University, across the street from the Ikea. The space was too small and the sculptures were all cramped together. There were still many impressive sculptures from professionals, as well as several local high school groups. Below are my favorites (several of the artists in the photos are still working on the sculptures because we arrived about an hour before the deadline for finishing the work).



A Grizzly Meal
David Andrews, Chris Andrews, Albert Benedict, Jr. from Madison, Wisconsin.



Think Spring
Artists: Mike Bihlmaier, Derrick Greenlee, Christopher Bihlmaier from Marengo, Illinois.




Bottoms Up!
A high school entry from Fremd High School.


Penguin
Another high school team, this one from Schaumburg High School.


The sculptures will be on display Sunday and Monday, so if you are in the area, I suggest you go check it out. It is free!

3 Comments:

  • too cool!!! (both the cinnamon roll french toast and the ice sculptures)

    too bad about the pet deposit/fee/rent...yikes! I'd do it for my cat, though, if I had to.

    By Blogger onepinkfuzzy, at 6:08 PM  

  • Very cool snow sculptures. And, given I'm heading out for a race, I sure wish I hadn't just seen that French toast!

    By Blogger Anne, at 8:24 AM  

  • What cool sculptures! The cinammon roll looks evil!!! Maybe all the pet insanity charges mean you shouldn't live so close to the evil sugar factory!

    By Blogger Rae, at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home