b

Unpublished Opinion

Friday, August 05, 2005

11 Ways that Training for a Half Marathon is Like Studying for the Bar Exam

1. You are singularly focused on one goal to the detriment of everything else in your life.

2. You change the way you eat, sleep, and drink. How often you have to pee becomes an important consideration.

3. You feel like anyone not doing it cannot possibly understand what you are going through.

4. You become obsessed with knowing everything possible about the BIG DAY: start time, number of participants, where you go when you get there, timing, what to bring.

5. You get annoyed at other people when they talk about the upcoming event. Meanwhile, it is all YOU want to talk about.

6. People that tell you it is okay to fail. But you know it really isn't.

7. You add a whole new vocabulary (Rule Against Perpetuities, Energy Gel).

8. You start dreaming about training/studying. Often the dreams include oversleeping and missing the start. Sometimes you may be naked.

9. You think more about luck than normal. (which is why there are 11 reasons instead of 10).

10. You are irritable, anxious, excited, and hopeful, all at the same time.

11. You get to the point where you just want it to be over already, so you don't have to think about it anymore!

I hope that this means that running the half marathon will be like taking the bar exam because I was a little giddy during the bar. I actually chuckled with glee at two of the essay questions because I had already written out very similar questions during studying. It was during the bar exam that I knew that hard preparation and sacrifices pay off in the long run. Let's see if that holds true on Sunday. Hopefully I won't be naked.

3 Comments:

  • Sometimes being naked is a good thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:15 PM  

  • the fact that you can still write about the race with humor is encouraging.
    I believe you can fly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 AM  

  • No matter what happens, I am proud of you. I can't run a lick, as it is I can't even seem to walk without trauma....see my blog for details

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home