b

Unpublished Opinion

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!!

I hope all of you had a fun New Year's Eve! Prince E and I spent the night at the W hotel in downtown Chicago. This was the view from our window. I don't think I even used the zoom.





We went to dinner at P.F. Chang's and then went to the see The Producers. Look for a review in the next podcast. After the movie, we headed back to our hotel room to watch the Navy Pier fireworks, which began right at midnight. I was somewhat disappointed with the fireworks display. During the warmer months, Navy Pier has fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday nights. We can see (and even sometimes hear) them from our apartment building. This display did not seem any more spectacular than that. I would have liked to see something more elaborate or longer. Perhaps I am just spoiled.




The real entertainment for me was watching people down on Lake Shore Drive, the expressway below our window. A long stream of cars and limos pulled over to the side so that the passengers could get out and watch the fireworks. This happened on both sides of the road and led to a large traffic jam on the south/city bound side. There were people running in front of cars and crossing three lanes of traffic to get over to the lakefront. Alcohol and moving vehicles do not mix. Luckily no one got hit. It was crazy. I guess this must happen every year, but it was a sight to behold. Here is a short video of the cars. Keep in mind that traffic is normally flowing at 60 mph on this road and there is no parking allowed.




As part of the hotel package, we each got a free breakfast at Wave, the hotel restaurant. When we booked the package, we were unsure what free breakfast meant. Cereal? A danish? Pancakes? Turns out it meant ALL YOU CAN EAT. And we ATE. Here is the photographic proof (and your first look at Prince E!! Well, part of him anyway.



We each ordered a smoothie, I had a fruit salad, and Prince E had oatmeal. We also each had an entree and a side of chicken sausage. Oh and the bowl of fruit is as it appeared after I had devoured a sizable portion.


My entree: French Toast Sundae with Strawberry Butter (YUM!) and chocolate sauce.

After breakfast, we explored around the hotel a bit more and discovered a bathroom with an interesting component. The men's and women's bathrooms were next door to each other (as is typical). Next to the sinks however, were full length translucent mirrors/windows so that you could see into the other bathroom. The sign in the women's room next to the window said "You're not the only one checking you out." Prince E said the men's room said "Wink, smile, wave, or meet her outside." Pretty funny I thought. Prince E took a picture of my reflection on a mirror in the men's room. Here it is below.



Lenny the Llama stowed away in our garment bag. He enjoyed the view and the fancy shower.





He liked traveling so much that I am sure he will be on many of our upcoming adventures. Although this year our traveling will be heavily scaled back until October as we save money and vacation days for the wedding/honeymoon in the fall. It will be all worth it, though, once I am dancing at a luau.


I hope everyone has a great year!

3 Comments:

  • Yum at the food!!! It looks like a great New Year's. I've seen that bathroom on a show on the Travel channel of "the world's coolest bathrooms". Seriously!

    Happy New Year!!

    By Blogger Rae, at 8:50 AM  

  • In the "odd coincidences" department... my boyfriend and I also ate at PF Chang's and then saw The Producers on New Year's Eve! We didn't stay downtown, though - after seeing your breakfast, I'm wishing we had!

    By Blogger Dawnie, at 7:02 PM  

  • What an awesome view! We were able to hear the fireworks in River North, but sadly couldn't see them.

    The W isn't too far from me. It looks like you have a great time! :)

    By Blogger Iron Jayhawk, at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home