b

Unpublished Opinion

Sunday, February 12, 2006

We Tackled the Tower!!

UPDATE: I finally managed to decipher our climbing time by listening to the recording from my dvr (I remembered to say "starting now" when we started and counted the stop time at a few seconds after Prince E shrieked with delight at seeing the 31st floor up ahead). We finished in 11 minutes, 21 seconds.



This morning, Prince E and I completed the 680 steps to the top of the Oakbrook Terrace Tower, in the "Tackle The Tower" event, benefiting the American Lung Association of Illinois. All of our training paid off and it went by very quickly. I was disappointed in the "finish line," however. There was no finish line, no signs, no one even saying "congrats." Just an old grouchy man in a fire department jacket. I realize we were in the non-competitive division, but I would have liked a little hoopla. We had to go back downstairs to get water, post-climb snacks, etc.

It felt like it took us longer to give back downstairs, believe it or not! They had two elevators that were supposed to take us back down, but about 10 of us got in and it went nowhere. No other elevators would come up, since that non-moving elevator was already on that floor. We complained to the fire department man that and he told us it had been working before, as though it was not broken and we were just not smart enough to push the button for the first floor. He suggested we take the stairs back down. Someone asked if there was another stairwell, other than the one that had people climbing up it and he said "oh, no, I guess not." Finally someone came up in one of the other elevators and we were able to jam into it and get back downstairs.

Here is a photo of Prince E rocking the stairclimb. I was so happy that had he agreed to do the event with me. I hope it is the first of many fitness-related events for us.



Below is a photo of the shirt we got. I like it. (Sorry it is so wrinkly; it was wadded up in the bag all day). We also got a little teddy bear beanie baby, which was not too exciting, except for the fact that according to the little tag poem, it is from Hawaii.



I recorded audio during the whole event. I have to go back and listen to it and see if there is anything worth posting. The highlights will appear in an upcoming podcast.

Thanks to those that pledged Prince E and I in the stairclimb: Kiki, Shore Turtle, and Dog Lover! I may also be collecting donations for the triathlon, so be on the look-out for future chances to pledge!

7 Comments:

  • Yea! Woohoo! Except for the grouchy old man and the non-moving elevator, it sounds like you had a good time. I look forward to the audio.

    By Blogger ShoreTurtle, at 7:34 PM  

  • Cool! How long did it take and how many stories was it?

    By Blogger Rae, at 8:35 PM  

  • I am not sure how long it actually took. They didn't time us and I didn't have my stopwatch. I will be able to estimate the time when I listen to the voice recording. It was 31 floors, 62 flights, 680 steps.

    By Blogger Simba's Mom, at 8:37 PM  

  • Way to go!!! That's crazy that there wasn't any hoopla at the finish. Looking forward to the audio adventure!

    By Blogger Anne, at 9:41 AM  

  • It sounds like fun to live with E.! And Simba, of course. Way to rock that climb!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 9:45 AM  

  • Yay - good job! Too bad about the lack of finish line, and the broken elevator.

    By Blogger onepinkfuzzy, at 9:04 AM  

  • WAY TO GO!! That's so awesome :) You've got me excited for the 26th (The Hustle). Congrats on making it all the way up...you rock :)

    Those shirts are far superior to the Hustle up the Hancock shirts. Ours are uuuuugly. No real design to them, just a bunch of sponsor logos.

    By Blogger Iron Jayhawk, at 9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home