b

Unpublished Opinion

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Family of Runners

I went to Ann Arbor this weekend to run with my mom and sister in a 5k. It was a lot of fun. I wished that I lived closer to them so that we could run together more often. It was a race with lots of children in it, since it benefited an elementary school. At one point, I saw a dad yelling at him 8 year old son to "move it, already" and "run faster." The child was obviously spent, but the father didn't seem to care. I was going to keep my mouth shut, but after the fourth or fifth one of these comments I said "He is doing the best that he can." The father than said "great job (name)" and patted his son on the back. I regretted my big mouth, but I was worried about the boy, so I guess I shouldn't regret it. All of the other parents that I saw were great and encouraged their children, trying to make the race fun. Shortly after we finished, I saw a very young boy finish. He was probably 5 or 6! I was very impressed and was happy to see a giant smile on his face as he crossed the finish line.

Due to the recent car problems we have been having, we rented a car for the weekend. Although the class we rented was labeled as "Toyota Corolla or other similar," we ended up with a Dodge Magnum. With leather seats. And a Hemi engine. We looked online and it is a $30,000+ car. It was lovely. It got pretty rotten gas mileage though, but was nice for the short time that we had it.

4 Comments:

  • that's so sad about that dad - i'm so glad you spoke up!!!

    nice car :)

    By Blogger onepinkfuzzy, at 9:48 PM  

  • I'm glad you spoke up too. I once had a similar situation when a mother was about to let her 11 year old rent He Got Game because, as I overheard him tell her, "it's just a basketball movie."
    When he and his friends walked away, I alerted her to the pretty explicit sex that was in it and was subject to his dirty looks.

    Sometimes I think parents need help like that though so don't feel bad. He obviously took your hint.

    By Blogger B, at 4:24 PM  

  • Good for you for speaking up; it's hard to speak up to strangers. Sometimes people don't realize what they're doing and need to be called on it. Little kids are cute when they run.

    By Blogger Dori, at 11:22 PM  

  • You're lucky on the rental car. Usually my substitute is a royal blue Dodge Neon or purple Geo. And you did the right thing with speaking up.

    By Blogger Anne, at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home