b

Unpublished Opinion

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Joy of Podcasts

I have ventured into an exciting and expansive new world: the world of podcasts. Now, I realize that I am not exactly on the cutting edge, as these have been around for awhile, but I am fairly certain that my most loyal readers (read: my family), have no idea about the wonderful world that awaits them.

For the most beginner of beginners, a podcast is sort of like a blog, but it is spoken. It sounds kind of like a radio show (some with better quality than others). Basically just a guy decides he has something to say and records himself and gets himself listed in a directory, like Apple iTunes or Podcast.net and then people can download his podcasts.

They have podcasts about everything! I, of course, first looked up running podcasts. There are some good ones. There are a few where the people record the podcasts while actually running!! I have only listened to one and he was huffing and puffing too much. I think there are better ones out there, though, so when I find them I will be sure to pass it on.

You can also get actual radio shows on podcast, like Ebert and Roeper and the Al Franken show. Also, you can get news and entertainment. Many of the podcasts have a subscribe feature so you automatically get each new episode. I use iTunes and each day I open it, it updates with whatever new episodes are on my list.

Oh, and the best part?!?!?!??!!??!
It is free!!!!
Tee hee.

For those of you out there that are regular podcast listeners, I would be happy to take recommendations.

Of course now I want to do one...

4 Comments:

  • Are you talking about SteveRunner? I LOVE his podcast! I haven't successfully found any other good running/exercise ones besides that one but I'm still looking. Adam Curry has a podcast recommending other podcasts so I download that some to look for new ones. MuggleCast is pretty funny only because every week these guys talk about Harry Potter for a full hour, as if he's a real person and NOT JUST A BOOK!! It's very bizarre.

    By Blogger Rae, at 6:00 PM  

  • No, it wasn't Steve Runner. I will have to check him out. Thanks for the tips!

    By Blogger Simba's Mom, at 6:22 PM  

  • oh, the wonders of technology!

    By Blogger Doghouse, at 8:11 PM  

  • I haven't looked for running podcasts that's a good idea. Check out my friend, Bruce Carlson's podcast--the underdog democrat.

    By Blogger ShoreTurtle, at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home