b

Unpublished Opinion

Saturday, October 15, 2005

One year, 20 degrees

Today is the Pumpkins in the Park 5k. It starts at 4pm, so don't worry I am not missing it as I sit here typing. A year ago, it was my very first race ever. The weather could not be more different. Last year the high was 46, low 38 degrees (thanks Accuweather). What I really remember was the wind. I think it was about 20 mph, but I have been unable to verify. What is the weather today in Chicago?? Predicted 4pm temp: 67, with a "real feel" temp of 63.

This would be all fine and dandy, but I planned my costume to go with longsleeve black shirt and black pants. So I have had to re-work it.

It is also different in that at this time last year I was freaking out. Not that I don't still get a little nervous before each race, but I was ridiculous. I couldn't really eat anything...I kept pacing. I was so worried I wouldn't be able to finish.

So much has happened in this past year it is a little mind-boggling. I ran last year's race with two other women. In the past year, all three of us got engaged, one of the other women got married and ran in two half-marathons, I ran in a half-marathon, and all of us have run in several other 5ks.

As I look at the photos from that day, all three of us huddled together in the cold, I can't even remember myself there. I look so young, so wide-eyed, so excited about this new thing called running. I should remember her when I get in one of my running ruts.

Full race report to come (I am very disappointed that I wasn't actively blogging during the time of this race last year). I am excited to see everyone's costumes. Last year I got tripped by the "three blind mice" complete with canes and marveled at how "Dorothy" could run 5k carrying a basket.

Send out happy thoughts for Shore Turtle. He has his half-marathon on Sunday. I know he will do great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home