b

Unpublished Opinion

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Stop the Presses: Simba's Mom Seen Running Outdoors in the Winter!!!

As I was waiting for the bus to come home after work, I realized that it was quite warm out. The sign on the bank said 51 degrees. I contemplated going for a run when I got home. Keep in mind that I have not run outside since November. However, I figured that I had to go out and go running, considering so many of my running friends on the east coast are still buried in snow. I could not let a 50 degree February day go to waste.

As I rode the bus home, I saw scores of runners and walkers enjoying the lakefront path. I started to get excited. Many of them were wearing shorts. I wanted to wear shorts too! I got home, gave the birthday kitty a quick pat on the head, threw on my running shorts and long-sleeve tech shirt and shoes and headed out. I only grabbed Garmina, so I would have proof that I actually went running. I didn't bother with music or my camera, because I was afraid the longer it took me to get ready, the more likely I would be to talk myself out of it.

I got outside and immediately started running. Usually I do a short minute warm up walk until I get over by the lake because it takes that long for Garmina to acquire the signal (since I live in a tall building). However, today I just wanted to run. So I did. Garmina kicked on about 1/4 mile into the run, even though I started the timer at the beginning. So the stats below aren't exactly accurate. I estimate it was close to two miles total. I ran 10 minutes straight! I cannot even remember the last time I did that. I wish I would have had my camera because the lake was beautiful in the sunshine. I saw a few other runners. It was super fun.

Moving Time (h:m:s) 0:25:05
Distance (mi) 1.75 (actually closer to two miles)

7 Comments:

  • That's simba-rific that you went for a run outdoors!

    By Blogger ShoreTurtle, at 7:55 PM  

  • I think we should all move to warmer climate.... how about Hawaii? :-)

    By Blogger Doghouse, at 6:08 AM  

  • Hawaii sounds good to me!

    By Blogger Simba's Mom, at 7:13 AM  

  • Great job on getting out there! It's one of those things... if it's warm outside I feel like I HAVE to get out there and run whether I want to or not just because we don't get many warm days anymore.

    I hope you had a great VD! HAPPY BIRTHDAY SIMBA!

    By Blogger brent d., at 7:53 AM  

  • 51F!!!!

    That should be illegal in February.

    Good on you!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 10:08 PM  

  • Happy belated B-day Simba!!

    We ran Tuesday, too. It was 53 when we got home!! Too perfect to pass up. I felt naked without all the gloves, hats, etc. I can't wait for spring!

    By Blogger Rae, at 6:08 AM  

  • good job - that's awesome!!!!!!

    By Blogger onepinkfuzzy, at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home