b

Unpublished Opinion

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Yeah, but they were fast 9-year olds.

Today was the Morton Arboretum Fall Color 5k. It was a good race and the course, which followed the paved path that winds around many acres of trees, was very pretty. At least it was when I reminded myself to pay attention to my surroundings. I mean, how often do I get to run through an arboretum? Unfortunately, most of the trees were still green. So much for the "fall color" part of the race. The path was nice and shady, which helped keep me cool. It was very hilly though. I think the first 1/2 mile was all going uphill. There was one really fun downhill which I enjoyed. There were lots of kids in this race. I got beaten by four or five nine-year olds. Below is a photo that I took pre-race, as well as the race on Google Earth. I think I came very close to my PR, but it was a non-chip race and I started Garmina a little too early to get my exact time. Garmina registered 3.2 miles total. I tried to calculate what my time was for 3.1, but I can't say for sure what my actual time was. Oh, well, I am very happy with my performance, given my recent slack-off in running. One other thing: the volunteers at the Morton Arboretum were the nicest, most helpful volunteers I have ever come in contact with. Just thought I would mention that.




2 Comments:

  • congratulations!
    it sounds like a fun course, even if it was hilly.
    I heard those nine year olds are pretty fast :-)
    what's this about after race chili's?

    By Blogger Doghouse, at 6:44 PM  

  • oh that sounds beautiful! A lovely fall day, too! And yeah you for doing so well!

    Thanks for the comment on my site...yeah, i'm ready to call it a marathon and be done with it, too!

    By Blogger jeanne, at 9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home