b

Unpublished Opinion

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Navigating the Ocean of Swimsuits

On my lunch hour today, I walked to the Sports Authority to check out the swimsuits. The size of their collection was adequate, but I had a lot of difficulty trying to figure out what kind to get. It is easier to buy a suit for the occasional dip in a hotel pool or for lounging on a beach. Under those circumstances, I consider only two things: Is it cute? and Does it prevent me from looking like a smaller, blonder, Shamu?

But as I was standing in the store, looking at the racks of suits, I had many more questions: What size do I get? Should I get one with a shelf bra or cups? Should I make sure it is supportive enough to run in should I chose to wear it during a triathlon? What kind of straps are better for support? Should I get a colorful one so my photographer, Prince E, might be able to pick me out of the sea of runners exiting the water after the swim?

After much debate, I chose three suits, two of the same kind, but in different sizes and one in a different variety. As I put each one on, all I could think was: Does this look cute? Do I look like Shamu?

None of the ones I chose fit properly. I am somewhat disproportional, so the suit that fit properly on the top, was a bit too loose on the bottom. And, as you would suspect, the one that fit properly on the bottom, did nothing to help support the top. I put the suits back on the racks and headed back to work. Not exactly an uplifting experience (in more ways than one).

1 Comments:

  • My thought is a two piece...more like a tankini, though, than the traditional bra type bikini. Tankinis provide much more support in general (I've found, though I use them for leisure and not triathalons) AND most importantly for those of us not proportioned the way they want us to be, you can pick one size for the top and another for the bottom.

    By Blogger B, at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home