b

Unpublished Opinion

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Independence Day Ice Cream and Other Excitement

I hope that everyone has had a great Fourth of July! I had today off of work and used a vacation day for Monday, since Prince E had the day off. It is a rare occurrence that his work gives him a day off that I don't get. I certainly could not let him have a day off when I had to be at work! Despite having four days off, I feel like it went too quickly. Here are some of the things we did.

On Monday, we went on an architectural boat tour along the Chicago River. It was through the Chicago Architecture Foundation and I highly recommend it, whether you live in the area or are in town for a visit. You get to see the city from an angle that most people never do and you learn a lot about the history of the architecture in Chicago.





Unfortunately, it rained the entire time we were on the boat, except for the last twenty minutes. We had an umbrella and rain coats, but my pants were still soaked. It was worth it, though, I think. You can see several more photos from the tour in my Flickr sidebar or by clicking here.

Our narrator informed us that while the Chicago River once had a designation of "toxic," it is currently only "highly polluted." The mayor apparently wants to have the river be sufficient for swimming at some point in the future. The picture below is what they mean by "polluted." Swimming, anyone?



If you click on the above picture to enlarge it, you can see a large, dead, bloated, beaver/woodchuck kind of animal in the center of the photo. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Today we went to Zephyr, which is a restaurant that specializes in ice cream (although it has regular food too). Prince E went there with his mom when he was a little kid, so he wanted to take me there. The food was very yummy. I had my very first banana split and the Prince had a sundae.



Other things we did:

* Signed our lease for our new apartment in the suburbs. We are moving in on July 28.

* Saw two movies: Superman Returns and X-Men: The Last Stand. I, to my tremendous surprise, enjoyed them both. Kevin Spacey is a fabulous bad guy. And he looks great bald.

* Went to a birthday party at the home of a family that Prince E grew up with. I had not met them before and I enjoyed hearing all the stories of the adventures of the pre-teen/teenage Prince.

* Watched the July 3 fireworks in Grant Park...from the comfort of our apartment. We had the fireworks coverage on the television in the background, so we could hear the orchestra playing, while watching the fireworks out of the window. We could see everything, except for the fireworks that did not make it very high into the air, because they were obscured by buildings. It was a much better alternative to sitting in the hot night with a couple of million people (and then trying to get home).

1 Comments:

  • I may have to see if I've got time in my schedule for that architecture expedition during my visit in August. And you are the third blogger that went to fireworks on July 3rd. What's up with that?!

    By Blogger Anne, at 9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home